Friday, August 6, 2010

Front Porch Project

Several months ago, I found these galvanized tin buckets at one of my favorite stores, TJ Maxx. The black and white typography on the buckets is what inspired my latest front porch project.

I purchased unfinished wood birdhouses at Michaels and then painted them black and white. The metal tags, also from Michaels, are wired onto the birdhouses. MacGyver husband made the birdhouse roof tops with inexpensive tin sheets from Home Depot.


My talented MacGyver husband also made the chalkboard sign. I absolutely love chalkboards, but I must admit that I am a bit obsessive about creating the perfect lettering on them.
On the blog, http://jonesdesigncompany.com/, is a great tutorial on how to create fancy lettering on chalkboards using Chalk Ink markers. These markers are much easier to write with than a piece of chalk, and there is no messy dust either. The downside is that at Michael's the Chalk Ink markers are only sold in sets, so you have to buy a white, red, yellow and a blue marker. My guilt, however, easily slipped away when I arrived at the Michaels' counter with the markers and a 40% off coupon!

1 comment:

  1. Best post yet! It looks so cute and it is such a good idea; I intend to try it soon. I am so happy to find out about the Chalk Ink markers.

    ReplyDelete